DEI in the POD
The Graphic Communication Department (GrC) is committed to the diversity of its faculty, students, and staff. We define diversity broadly, as differences in social categories like race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexuality, socio-economic status, nationality and citizenship, veteran and parental status, body size, ability, age and experience. Our commitment is central to our community and built on ideals of integrity, respect, peace, and equality.
As a community—or POD—we value a broad array of perspectives and strive to ensure that they can be expressed in a safe environment of mutual understanding. As such, we are continuously working to become a community more representative of the city, state, and country in which we live.
Lastly, we value inclusion within our diverse GrC community because it helps us: 1) address and understand underrepresented groups; 2) recognize systemic inequalities facing American institutions and society; 3) facilitate a new generation of ideas and leaders within the discipline; and, 4) cultivate civil discourse among diverse parties. We are committed to providing necessary support for seeing to the success of all members of the department.
Our Aspirations and Goals for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusivity within the GrC Department:
- To foster an atmosphere of acceptance and inclusion in which all individuals are supported and integrated both academically and socially
- To welcome honest and open discussion regarding diversity issues in the GrC profession
- To recruit and attract faculty, students, and staff of diverse backgrounds to our department and programs
- To incorporate diversity as topics in our academic curriculum
- To enhance awareness of diversity issues through ongoing research, learning, and training