Hero Image: 
Teaser Text: 
COVID-19 Updates and Information
Appearance Order: 

GrC Transfer

GrC Policy for Transferring to Graphic Communication:
Individual Change of Major Agreement (ICMA)

revised 5-23-17

Transfer students from other colleges or universities, please refer to Cal Poly's admissions web site.

Cal Poly students are required to declare a major at the time of application. Some students find that their interests and abilities lead them in a different direction. For more information regarding Cal Poly's change of major policy please refer to this page.

We are not accepting applications for second majors, as an alternative, please review our Graphic Communication minor curriculum.

The Graphic Communication Department wants to maximize the likelihood of student success. We require convincing evidence from our change of major applicants that they will thrive in our curriculum.

The Graphic Communication Department is impacted and therefore the department will limit the total number of ICMAs during each quarter. The application process is a fair process by which available spaces are filled by the most qualified students.

Minimum Application Requirements for Transferring to the Graphic Communication Department

  • Must have previously been enrolled at Cal Poly for one complete quarter
  • Must have GPA of 3.0 or higher
  • Must be a full time student
  • Must have at least seven (7) General Education courses remaining
  • Students with 90 or more units are not eligible to apply
  • Must have completed GrC 101 a "B+" or better 
  • Refer to Step 3 for more GPA information

Step 1:

Step 2 – How to Apply for Change of Major into GrC:

  • Before the end of the fourth week of the Fall, Winter or Spring quarter, meet with the department designee (Lorraine Donegan) to determine the feasibility of changing majors. Students may not initiate a major change during Summer quarter.
  • If it is determined the student is likely to be successful in GrC an Individual Change of Major Agreement (ICMA) will be developed. The ICMA will serve as a contract and will be valid for one or two consecutive quarters.

Step 3 – Criteria for successful ICMA completion:

  • Earn a grade point average of 3.3 or higher in Graphic Communication coursework.
  • Achieve a Cal Poly GPA of 3.0 or higher for the duration of the ICMA (enrolled full-time).
  • Meet with the department designee (Lorraine Donegan) during the first four weeks of each quarter of the ICMA to discuss registration and/or completion of the ICMA.
  • Upon completion of the agreement the student must have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA.
  • The ICMA will be terminated if a student is academically disqualified prior to the completion of the agreement, or If a student is on academic probation at the completion of the agreement.

Additional Information:

Students who enter into an Individualized Change of Major Agreement (ICMA) with the department and are not accepted into the Graphic Communication major upon the completion of the ICMA will not be eligible to reapply to the major. Students considering an internal transfer are strongly encouraged to discuss their situation with their current faculty advisor, advising center or department chair before pursuing an application into another major.

Department Designee for ICMA: Lorraine Donegan, Associate Professor (please see Faculty page for Ms. Donegan's office hours).

Related Content